Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Only 24 Days Until Open Season Post #1

It all started October 14, 1998, while getting things together to prepare for a hunting trip. My mother was in labor, however my dad was busy shooting the goose off our pond. Being born into a family of hunting, it was obviously planned that I would hunt something at some point. Growing up I was always outside doing something with my dad to get ready for the next season. 

The first time I remember going deer hunting was when I was about 3 or 4. My dad bundled me up and took me to the tree stand. He made sure I climbed first so if I were to slip or fall he would be able to catch me. Once in the tree he had a platform to the side of his stand he would sit me on and hook me to a harness so I couldn't fall. From that day forward I knew I wanted to hunt until I couldn't do it anymore. Since then I have killed deer, turkeys, squirrels, waterfowl, game birds, and even alligators. 

I can remember my first turkey hunt with my mom. It was off to an awful start. I had a bloody nose and had to use the shirt I was wearing to stop it, which happened to be one of my dads shadow grass camouflage shirts. (Sorry dad.) Then out of no where this tom came walking out just in front of the tent we were hunting in and I happened to be looking down not paying attention, my mom shot and threw the blind over my head and went running to grab the turkey as it flopped on the ground. When I asked later why she did this her answer was, "I didn't want it to fall in the pond."

Having a taxidermy business in the family has spurred random hunts and experiences that most people would never dream of. My grandpa has made many friends across the US that own ranches or know good guide services. Knowing how to mount your own things leads to having to have your own samples to practice on to get things right before doing a customer's.

I chose hunting as the topic of my blog because of this simply. Hunting is what brings my family together. Hunting is something I really enjoy doing and getting other young people into. If we don't hunt and control some species other will become endangered. If you eat what you kill in the wild you know there is not all of the antibiotics and chemicals that get put into the meat from the store. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm patiently waiting for Oct. 1st to come around! I also wrote on hunting and can't wait to read your blog every week. I have a very similar family in which we all hunt! Ill have to see how much you charge when I get my giant buck this year. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so great that your whole family gets involved in hunting. I love going out to the blind with my dad during deer season. It's always an adventure and I love that your family always has memories to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw eight wild turkeys in someone's yard in Midland yesterday. Good thing your mom wasn't around.

    ReplyDelete