Monday, October 3, 2016

Shoot 'Em Post #4

When you thought deer hunting was an early morning, try duck hunting. Getting up by three so you can make it to the draw on time sucks. The worst part of it is that you might not even be able to go. The draw picks 30 party's. From there it is first come first serve. The party's get to pick where they want to hunt based off of what areas in the flats are open. Some areas are not able to be hunted at the beginning of the season due to crop removal or flooding the fields so we can have boat access. However, you don't always have to hunt on the flats or in water. You can dry field hunt on private land.

The first time I went duck hunting I went with my dad, brother, a farm hand and his kid Cody, and Leo Gross. (Which by the way is a state duck calling champion.) We hunted some of his corn fields next to his dairy farm. We had some many ducks flying at us it was insane. The sky would go absolutely black with ducks trying to land in our set. I thought duck hunting would always be like that. Well I was wrong. It all depends on the year and the crops.

It was just getting to be shooting time and we were loading our guns. We took turns shooting so we all had fair play. I of course was the only girl and it was my first time so I got to go first. The first group of ducks came through and bam! I shot not knowing what duck I was told to shoot. (You can only shoot one hen per person per hunt.) There was so many ducks I don't think I had to aim at one and I could have gotten one. Now it was my brothers turn, of course another duck down, Cody too. So when the group returned again we let them circle once before shooting. When they came by the second time I was told to shoot. So I shot the one duck that had landed. Everyone laughed at me and wanted to know why I didn't shoot the one right in front of my face flying. Why try something when there is a guarantee around. They all picked on me for the rest of the hunt. We ended the day with a nice pile of ducks!

1 comment:

  1. If you ever need an extra person to go out duck hunting let me know! I am new to the sport and have only been out goose hunting so far this year. I really want to learn the sport because it adds another hunting season to look forward to! happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete