Squirrel hunting is not necessarily an act of enjoyment around my house. It is more of an act to control the population. I can remember in my earlier years of hunting going out early with my pelt gun while we were deer hunting. We would take our gun/bow to still hunt for deer but we would go out and hour or two early. We would sit and wait for the squirrels. We would shoot squirrels until prime hours of deer hunting. After it was dark and we were done for the night we would go and pick up all of the squirrels.
I recently just got a new puppy this summer to be trained for squirrel hunting. My dad is big into competition squirrel hunts. and would like to be able to take her out this winter. She has been doing good so far. (Her name is Sadie.) Sadie is only about five months old and has already gotten two squirrels. She is trained to tree the squirrel and bark so the hunter can find which tree she is in and shoot the squirrel. If the tree has low branches she might even climb up into the tree. I have yet to take her out on hunts but she sure does love to chase things around in the backyard!
Sadie is a mountain feist and she should grow to be about double the size she is in this picture. She should grow to be about knee height and weigh about 30-40 pounds. However she will be all legs!
Part of her training involves catching squirrels live and you can only imagine how we do that. We use a squirrel live trap. Its basically a black wire box that things can get into but cannot get out of with out a door being opened.
One day I was leaving for work and found my dad outside with a squirrel in the trap hanging from a tree using the dog leash. You never know what you may see at my house! (haha) I am very excited to get Sadie out on my own and see what she has to offer!
I'm not a hunter but everyone thinks that my family and I should take our dog out to do so. He is a yellow lab and although no one has teached him a thing about hunting he does it instinctively. Also you should here him sniffing around the backyard, he sounds like a pig.
ReplyDelete