Monday, November 14, 2016

Getting Youth Involved Post #9

Getting the youth into hunting and learning the different ways and things you can hunt is important.   I started hunting at about the age of eight when I went out with my own weapon of choice. However, I had been going out and sitting with my dad since I was about three or four. I have always shared an immense love for the sport because of all the time I got to spend with my father. My dad is really the one who got me started, but I did enjoy spending time with my mom in the woods too. She only hunted till we were about eight and then just quit. She had two kids and a husband who didn't pick up after themselves.
I feel that getting kids involved and out in the woods teaches them about their ancestors in a round about way. Everyone used to have to hunt for their food. Now people get in their cars and go to the store to get food.
Hunting also teaches kids where their food comes from and I feel that this is a great part of life. Otherwise you get kids who cry when you say well this came from this animal and its just terrible. Kids should have to work for things that they have, and not have everything handed directly to them. Yes, I was spoiled as a child but I got spoiled with things like guns and arrows. I was always outside and running or playing with livestock. My family has always been big into hunting and fishing. Because of this I learned where my food came from and that you eat what you kill at a young age.
Now days five year olds have I-phones and do nothing but sit around and play video games. Kids need to go outside and explore what life has  to offer. I had to work for most things that I have and I am proud to be able to say that I went outside and played I did not play video games and I am still alive the outdoors wont kill you.
If kids don't get outside and get exposed to things the sport of hunting is likely to die out, this is something that needs to be carried on and the land preserved. Hunting is not just a sport its an art, not only are you getting food for your family, you are helping to control the populations and preserve the land.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you had to say and I totally agree! I think kids should get out more and learn about nature and what it has to offer. I used to go hunting with my dad until he told me I couldn't come anymore because I talked to much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that kids need to put down electronics and get out more! I love when my dad takes me hunting and I think a lot of little kids would enjoy it if they gave it a chance!

    ReplyDelete